The council is consulting on improving cycle parking around the city. This scheme is jointly funded from Capital Programme and Birmingham Cycle Revolution (BCR) Department for Transport fund. Approximately 42 locations have been identified within 19 wards. The scheme will deliver parking facilities along BCR Main Corridors of A47 Parkway, Alcester Road, Bristol Street, Lichfield Road, Soho Road and other key routes at additional locations of strong demand. The locations are presented on the Overview Map and details of sites are provided in the Site Details Overview table. Specific locations are also shown on drawings for each site, available to download and print from the BeHeard website.
Project aims to achieve following goals:
- Improvement of the parking provisions for existing cyclists
- Encourage choice of cycling as a practical mode of transport for new users
- Reduction in cycle theft and vandalism
- Ensure adequate response to increased demand for cycling facilities
- Cutback on obstruction and potential hazard caused by informal cycle parking (e.g. against fences or lighting columns)
- Reduction in the street clutter
- Refurbishment of unsafe/damaged existing facilities
These are preliminary proposals and may be subject to change depending on responses received to this consultation. If you would like to discuss these proposals further, please contact Natalia Haberko on 0121 675 8757 or email her at: transport.projects [at] birmingham.gov.uk.
Please submit your comments by 23rd October 2015.